For Immediate Release
MAYOR CASTRO NAMED AMONG 2014 INDUCTEES INTO BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS’ ALUMNI NATIONAL HALL OF FAME
Other Local Hall of Famers Include Judge Wolff, Gen. Valenzuela, Sean Elliott, and Congressman Castro
SAN ANTONIO, May 13, 2014 – Boys & Girls Clubs of America recently inducted the 2014 Class into its Alumni Hall of Fame at its 108th National Conference. The Alumni Hall of Fame recognizes prominent former members of Boys & Girls Clubs who have forged successful careers in science and medicine, politics, media, sports, entertainment, and an array of other fields, while demonstrating the academic fervor, character & citizenship and healthy lifestyles representative of the organization’s core mission.
The 2014 Class includes an impressive group of politicians, professional athletes and business leaders who have incomparably contributed to their fields and to their local communities. One of the inductees is San Antonio Mayor Julián Castro, who attended the Boys & Girls Clubs of San Antonio Calderon Branch in the city’s west side.
“It is a true honor to be inducted into the Boys & Girls Clubs Hall of Fame,” said Mayor Castro. “The Calderon Branch played an important role in my development and continues to do so for countless youth in our community.”
This year, Boys & Girls Clubs of San Antonio is celebrating its 75th Anniversary. The first Club opened as the “Boys Club of San Antonio” and was located on Dolorosa Street. In its first year, the Boys Club of San Antonio had 1,205 members. Since then, the organization has grown to 6 branch locations, one project unit, and 43 afterschool sites that serve more than 9,200 youth ages 6-18 years old annually.
As part of the celebration, the Boys & Girls Clubs has been selected as the recipient of the Richmond Family Foundation $100,000 Pizza Hut Matching Grant Challenge. Every donation received during the month of May will be matched, dollar for dollar, up to $100,000, by the Foundation.
All donations made during this campaign should be made payable to Boys & Girls Clubs of San Antonio and sent to their administrative offices at: 600 SW 19th Street, San Antonio, TX 78207. Donations can also be made online at www.begreatsa.org.
The complete list of 2014 inductees includes:
• Bill Russell – 1975 Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Inductee & 11-time NBA Champion
• Victor Cruz – NY Giants Wide Receiver & Super Bowl XLVI Winner
• Nick Cannon – Actor, Activist & Host of “America’s Got Talent”
• Julián Castro – Mayor of San Antonio, TX
• Michael D. Smith – Director, Social Innovation Fund – A White House Initiative
• Chris Doleman – 2012 NFL Hall of Fame inductee
• Alexei V. Filippenko, Ph.D. – Astronomer & Professor at University of California, Berkeley
• Senator Judith Zaffrini, Ph.D. – First Hispanic woman elected to the Texas Senate
• Eric Shanks – Co-President & COO, Fox Sports Media Group
• Tony La Russa – 2014 MLB Hall of Fame inductee
Previous inductees have included: General Wesley K. Clark, Jennifer Lopez, Kerry Washington, Jim Collins, Earvin “Magic” Johnson and Denzel Washington.